Moment Energy - Repurposing EV batteries for Renewable Energy + Diesel Dependent applications

• Hey there I am Edward Chiang co-founder of Moment Energy and we are repurposing EV batteries to provide energy storage for renewable energy and diesel dependent areas. Our solution has the added benefits of extending the life of these batteries that are often prematurely sent to the landfill/recycler.

We are a team of engineers based in Vancouver with key partnerships with auto manufactures and the Canadian Government.

We are currently running University renewable energy pilot projects and would love to hop on a call with anyone that might need a cleaner energy storage solution/interested in running pilot projects with us.
    -Pilot projects for your own energy generation
    -Pilot projects that pair with fossil fuel generators to reduce their diesel usage
    -Pilot projects for electrification of an industry/remote community

For more information contact us at:
    Momentenergy.ca
    edward@momentenergy.ca

• Hey @Eddy-Chiang! Thanks for sharing, Moment Energy looks awesome.

From a technical perspective, how are the EV batteries able to have their life cycle extended? Is it just that the batteries are being thrown away before their useful life is complete? Or is there some electrical engineering that goes into it?

• Hi @Eric-Vanular thanks for the invite into your community!
    Inherently, batteries that come out of end of life EV's have up to 80% life left in them. Unfortunately as these batteries at end of auto life are no longer suitable in the high-stress environment of an electric vehicle, automakers see them as trash that they have to pay to get rid of. This means although you may see a HUGE range decrease when driving an 8-year-old EV, once we take them out, we see up to 80% capacity still usable for less stressful applications such as utility storage.

Yes, these batteries are just being thrown away before their useful life is completed, but I would highly discourage anyone to just pick up a couple of these batteries and use them as lead acids. There are many DIY forums that show homes being burnt down without a proper management system

Our start-up is working on battery management systems that would extend the life of our batteries for 7+ years along with being able to work with batteries that come from different auto manufactures/chemistries.

• Hi @Eddy-Chiang I know you are in the early stages of this, but I would love to learn more about how you anticipate the return on investment from an investor's perspective.

Are you selling the stored energy to a retailer at a premium? How many batteries are you collecting at the moment and what are the up-front/ongoing costs of the project?

Thanks for sharing. I think ideas like this have a lot of promise. The economics are the make or break point

• Hi @Rob-Bennett our return on investment is quite good for our smaller projects but get better the larger the system we build (2x margin vs +10x margins)! Through bootstrapping for only 4 months, we have been able to sustain our company, R&D, and pilot projects for the past year. This is because, with our partnership with automakers, our $/kWh is more than 6x cheaper than competing lithium batteries made in China. Our upfront cost for batteries is the lowest component of our offering.

Right now we are focused on selling smaller units to renewable energy professors, off-grid cabins, and smaller off-grid communities as a one time sale. This is because the Canadian Government wants to see performance data of our packs, especially when running in a colder Canadian climate. By the end of our pilot phase, we would be working with the government to deploy large power units in larger remote communities. This would be a one-time sale + maintenance subscription as remote communities value energy independence.

Our supply of batteries is coming directly from EV automakers so we do not need to collect batteries from platforms such as eBay and auto wreckers, they also have the added benefit of being quality tested.

• @Eddy-Chiang very cool. How did you manage to convince the automakers to give you their used batteries? I'm guessing it wasn't as easy as just calling them up and asking

• Luckily, through our university engineering research and experience with working on EVs in the industry for many years, automakers found us the most qualified to solve their problem and compelled them to form an exclusive partnership 🙂