How should we transition away from residential natural gas at the local govt level?

• My city is currently scoping out aggressive policies for combating climate change. I noticed that one of the goals/requirements is to replace natural gas (and other "dirty" sources of heating) with electricity. In my mind, this is absolutely needed, but I wonder how we're going to achieve this. I think very few people would agree to this because it'll be extremely expensive. I'm not clear on whether things like this require a vote, but even if they don't, I'm sure few families would tolerate this without huge subsidies. And then the question is, if the transition is subsidized, where's that money coming from?

The proposed policy includes being 100% carbon neutral by 2035, and this is phased in through 5-year increments. I'm sure most here will agree that that's exactly what we need, but you don't see many areas trying this...so I'm wondering how it can be done.

Does anyone have any ideas for a practical implementation of this, given the limited budget of an average-sized city/county? How can we ease the transition for the average family without bankrupting them nor the city, while also making sure we maintain an aggressive policy?

• @mattm The general thinking around this is that subsidies will come from internalizing the environmental cost of carbon (aka carbon taxes). It'll push the economics in favour of electricity based heating. Those funds can then be disbursed into gas to electric retrofit projects