Personal Sustainability-Oriented Gardening Methods

• This post is deleted!

• @briparks distributed food production! love it

• @briparks I saw vertical farming exhibited at the CNE in Toronto this summer by Ripple Farms. Saw your post and found a message from them that they will run their second vertical farming bootcamp on November 23rd in Toronto at Seneca College. I was pretty excited by this new way to farm sustainability too. I like the points you make on the versatility to grow food in non-traditional places like urban streetscape, shipping containers and discarded agricultural lands, and mitigate the affects from weather, insects or disease that traditional farms experience. Ontario agricultural land is being sold to land development builders for residential homes and communities outside Toronto on rich growing earth. What about future food production when growing land size is depleted, I wondered. You talk about a method that may be the way out of our modern preoccupations in a sustainable way.
    Ripple Farms bootcamp workshop is on vertical farming, aquaponics and the technology behind it:
    Newnham Campus, Saturday, November 23rd, 8:30am - 5pm
    Ripple Farms, 192 Spadina Ave. Toronto M5T 2C7
    Olivia Pasut, Vertical Farming Bootcamp opasut@ripplefarms.ca

• @K-Fitzsimmons Wow this is such great information, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to check out the Vertical Farming Bootcamp, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for to learn more about the process. It's so interesting and you're totally right, a viable option for crop growing if most of Ontario's ag land is depleted due to developers buying land for residential/commercial space. That's a scary thought but unfortunately it's becoming reality.

• @briparks The Vertical Farming Bootcamp still has space for November 23rd. Is anyone interested in building food sustainability in a hands-on experience? Ripple Farm is prompt in returning messages. $399. +tax Cdn $. I can see this local farming technology taking off.

• I'm curious about how society could scale vertical farming to a large number of structures. From what I've seen so far, it seems driven by people who are already into gardening just doing it as a side project.

@K-Fitzsimmons @briparks what might the levers be to make this more ubiquitous in people's lives?

• @Cali-Johnston large-scale vertical farming is actually becoming more present in urban areas! When first reading about it, I immediately thought of places with declining economies - cities like Detroit and small towns which often struggle with economic development.
    Presently, it does have economic and technical hurdles to overcome. Economic issues might resolve themselves as food becomes increasingly expensive (and as good agricultural land becomes more expensive, along with the inputs). Here is an interesting article about Detroit's efforts to increase local farming. Detroit is massive and there are estimates that it has 27-40 square miles of vacant land at a very reasonable price (some lots cost as low as $3,000). It's home to 1500+ gardens/large-scale farms. Harnessing areas like Detroit and turning them into "green spaces" would be an incredible economic investment & simultaneously combat food security issues.

• This is a cool video that explains the vertical farming methods a little more in-depth for those interested in learning more

• @briparks An interesting video to explain how vertical farming is a "closed loop hydraulic system."

• @briparks Reclaiming underused urban areas for agriculture is such a great idea. Being able to do it in an innovative and space-efficient way is even better 👍

It is a win for city administrators as well if they can show economic growth as a result of initiatives like this

• When I was in Singapore earlier this year I caught a news segment about a local entrepreneur who was developing vertical farming techniques and equipment and had just started bringing his first crop of strawberries to local markets at a competitive price
    Just searched online for vertical farms Singapore and I see that there are now 26 in Singapore. Singapore is uniquely suited for this as food security and land scarcity make the economics more attractive.

• @feangel Singapore is the exact right type of market! Very little agricultural area and relatively high per capita income. Where else could this idea work?

• Hi @briparks! I love this concept too. I found a great org in NYC called Square Roots. They are an "urban indoor farming company growing local, real food while training the next generation of leaders in agriculture." They use modular shipping containers with vertical stacks of hydroponic grown fresh greens. I recommend going on a free tour of their building if you're in the area -- super cool stuff. I know there are other companies working on a similar setup.

• Related to my comment above, I added Square Roots to the projects list. I'm not affiliated with them, I just think they're doing cool stuff 🙂 https://collective.energy/topic/54/square-roots-hyper-local-farms-in-shipping-containers