Green Hydrogen from sea water & renewable energy for the maritime and renewable energy industries

• @cjbenedikt what is the name of your group? Why are you uniquely positioned to be able to take advantage of this opportunity? thanks for sharing

• @feangel Since September 2017 BWT is obligatory by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) globally and the US Coast Guard in the US. The reason behind it is the invasive species risk which turned into a $1.3 trillion p.a. problem globally. Vessels have to comply or risk hefty fines. Most vessels are installing on board systems at costs of between $500k and $2M depending on vessel size. However, for some vessels it would make more sense to have BWT in ports as they only shuttle between one port and offshore oil & gas platforms or windfarms for maintenance. Those vessels are called FPSOs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_production_storage_and_offloading
    Also some older vessels, who have only approx. 5 years left want to avoid having to install these expensive on board systems. Those companies are very interested in what we have to offer.

• @ecojoy We are uniquely positioned because we are the only one (so far) that can use sea-/balllast water or brine to produce hydrogen (H2). Because of that and our co-products we can produce H2 at prices well below any other fuel. So far H2 was considered too expensive for the shipping industry compared to say LNG or heavy marine oil. Existing technology is struggling to produce H2 at or below $3/kg. In order to be competitive it would need to be at or below $2/kg. We can profitably produce it at $1/kg.

• @cjbenedikt hey just learning about green hydrogen but it sounds promising.

Are you the only ones who can use sea/ballast water or brine to produce H2 because you have some novel or innovative method? If so, wouldn't most H2 producers leverage that same tech when it becomes more common knowledge? Genuinely curious and wish you the best of luck!

• @Cali-Johnston Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, so far we are the only ones and our technology is patented. While we are aware that others are working on technologies to do use sea water as well they are a long way away from commercialization and their approaches are far more complicated. We will be piloting in the Port of Rotterdam (the biggest port globally outside Asia) in 2020.

• Is your team entirely based in Rotterdam? It would be cool to to track your progress going forward. You'll have to keep us updated on here!

• Good question. Actually at the moment we are all based in the US. However, I'm shuttling and depending on the result of the pilot we may relocate to Europe.

• @cjbenedikt Was Rotterdam put forward as the site for the pilot solely because of its size? Would a project like this work in smaller ports?

• @Felix-G No, not at all. And yes, it would of course work in a smaller port.
    But Rotterdam was very proactive. The city offered us a grant opportunity and the port offered to cover some of the costs attached. They also offered a convenient location and connectivity to renewable energy. The port of Antwerp has also expressed an interest now. Here in the US was no interest at all so far. None on the East Coast anyway and only a little bit in San Francisco as there is a hydrogen fuel cell ferry business starting just now. But no support in terms of infrastructure. Markets here are still married to LNG and for a startup it's easier to go where they really want you than to fight a trend despite knowing that LNG is no solution longer term.

• @cjbenedikt Unfortunate that US ports aren't chomping at the bit on a project like this. On top of the potential economic yield, the positive PR could be amazing. Have you considered a way to let supporters such as the group here follow your journey in greater detail? I would totally geek out over the data & results that come from a project like yours

• Who would be the main buyers for hydrogen created this way? Is it a very liquid market at lower volume?

• @cjbenedikt What is the amount of funding you're seeking for the pilot project?

• @olliej There are two scenarios. Typical buyers would be in port users such as forklifters or some trucks that run on hydrogen but more importantly cruise ships that are no longer allowed to run their auxiliary engines in port (due to pollution) and have to connect to the onshore grid at huge expense. They could run their aux engines on hydrogen emission free with the added benefit that the hydrogen combusted produces clean water which while in port they currently have to buy.
    Another user of the hydrogen are offshore wind farms (of which there are 96 in Northern Europe alone) to store surplus energy.

• @feangel we would be looking for between $500k to $750k

• @thomasn That's one of the reasons I'm on this forum here. I think it's great to have a place to communicate results and data.

• @cjbenedikt Cool, let me know when you have more info to share! Also, if you need website help, I might be able to help. I run a small agency called Syllable.

Also, related: I just got back from Princeton's Andlinger Center conference where Hydrogen was a big topic of conversation. I learned a lot and summarized some of it in these tweets. I didn't realize that Hydrogen had such huge potential to decarbonize so many industries!

• @Eric-Chaves Spot on Eric. Great tweets too. Yes, hydrogen has enormous potential in many ways. Also, one mustn't forget it is the only energy storage medium that produces clean water when used. Another big issue going forward and in some regions already. One of the points made when talking to the National Energy Research Agency (NERA) in Australia was that they don't want to export hydrogen made form electrolysis to Japan as they "would be exporting water" which they are short of already. So, obviously with sea water or Brine they wouldn't have that problem. Let me have a look at your website - I might come back taking you up on your offer.

• @Eric-Chaves Love the tweet storm, its also a revelation for me to relearn about hydrogen's potential in 2019 - I had mostly written it off years ago. Obviously that is no longer the case!

• @ericvanular Definitely worth it 🙂

• @feangel I'm curious if you can tell us about sustainability efforts in the maritime industry? Seems like there's a lot of opportunity for improvement there although I'd love to hear from an industry insider like yourself. I recently saw this article which details the climate impacts of ship speeds.

Sorry if it is derailing this conversation - maybe you'd consider making your own thread for it? I think there's interest given the potential impact