Veganism for the environment

• @ecojoy generally, people worry way more about protein than they need to. The rule of thumb is that if you're getting enough calories from healthy, whole plant foods, you're almost certainly getting more than enough protein. Even for bodybuilding! Note that people on a typical western diet get TWICE as much protein as they actually need. That excess protein just gets inefficiently converted into carbohydrates by your body.

Many people who go vegan make the mistake of under-consuming calories -- that's what can make them feel hungry frequently. You can't take something like a cheeseburger and replace it with vegetables -- you'll be getting WAY too few calories. Veggies like broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, zucchini, etc. have very little calories. A vegan diet needs to be based on starchy vegetables and grains for calories, like potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, legumes, etc. (Unless you're doing Keto, but I can't really recommend that -- there's not a lot of research on its safety, and what there is indicates that it can lead to some health problems.) Starches are less energy-dense than foods like dairy, meat, eggs, and fish, so you have to eat a bit more of them. You want a good portion of starchy food as the base of every meal.

For example, a portabello mushroom burger is WAY less calories than a hamburger, unless you drown it in oil. A black bean burger is a lot closer -- beans and legumes are very calorie dense.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck with your nutrition.

• @numberwang interesting. what sources have you used to find recipes or meal plans that allow you to hit your macro nutrient goals?

• @olliej It blew me away too!

• @ecojoy also another interesting documentary is The Game Changers (on Netflix). Obviously needs to be taken w a grain of salt but raises good points about plant based diets in the scope of sports nutrition!

• @kvigonic do you know of any academic studies that have been done on the effects of plant based diets on athletes' performance? might be interesting to learn about

• Replying to put particular emphasis on what @Jacara said here:

*The UN stated that to avoid the worst effects of climate change, the world needs to shift to a plant based diet.

It is absolutely necessary that the world quickly moves toward a more plant-based food system in order to have a hope of limiting planetary warming to 2ΒΊ C. A failure on this front virtually guarantees that the target will be missed.

This change (global shift to a plant-based food system) is not sufficient on its own to avoid the worst effects of climate change, but it is a necessary mitigation that must be combined with other better known mitigations like renewnable energy and electric cars.

One effective way of demonstrating this is by using the Global Calculator to simulate scenarios with (and without) a shift toward plant-based diets. The difference is quite pronounced, and it's hard to make any scenario work unless a plant-based shift is incorporated.

• @numberwang I've heard conflicting views on whether plant based diet advocates are consuming too much or too little protein. What sources have led you to have take view?

• @Jacara also curious if you use any nutritional supplements?

• @Sam-Hughes https://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php has a pretty clear, well-sourced explanation of protein requirements and veganism.

• I, too, have moved to a plant-based diet. I don't say vegan lifestyle because there are still many products in my current environment that I haven't swapped over yet (the amount of stuff that is NOT considered vegan is astounding). Thank you too, for your moderate and considered opinion on why and how you've moved to veganism - I've come across too many "militant vegans" who seem to think that shouting at people trying to give up animal products in their diet, is helpful.