Reduce clothes drying by 30-50% with this one simple trick...

• Click bait title aside, have people heard about wool dryer balls? Anyone using them found faster drying times?

https://davidsuzuki.org/queen-of-green/wool-dryer-balls-shrink-drying-time/

• @jamiroquai Awesome concept. I know that dryers typically have a big electrical load profile. I found this calculator to see how much running a dryer costs based on a few factors which you can play with.

Maybe the best part of something like this is that you could potentially actually be saving money while reducing energy use (and therefore emissions). Being green increasingly means making the financially savvy choice as well!

• For sure! Looking at that, it looks like the payback for cheap dryer balls is around 3 months!

• @jamiroquai very cool. I guess it goes without saying that using a clothesline to air dry is the best eco-choice but this is a nice alternative in the winter months. I wonder about the materials used in the dryer balls themselves... how sustainable might those be?

• Is there evidence from a reputable source that can verify that this product actually works as advertised?

• @Adam-Steffes agreed. We should always be providing science-based proof for claims like this

@jamiroquai do you know of any good sources for verifying the effectiveness of dryer balls?

• Found this though I wouldn't say they are unbiased.
    https://prudentreviews.com/dryer-balls/
    Otherwise seems to be mostly blogs and opinions on them, some claiming they do and others claiming they don't work. Would be interested to know if anyone has tried them?

• @jamiroquai I would say there's likely no peer-reviewed studies on dryer balls so I'll take the link you provided as pretty good proof 👍

• @jamiroquai I’ve tried them and can say they work fine! I’ve had mine for nearly a year now (received it for Christmas last year) and have no complaints. I add a few drops of essential oils to it before each load and it adds a fresh scent. It’s also far less harmful than the artificial fragrances on dryer sheets and I would say cheaper in the long run as I haven’t had to replace it.

It's also important to consider than dryer sheets are primarily made out of polyester, which is a synthetic material. Having this tumble around with your clothes transfers micro-plastics onto them. Those micro-plastics are then transferred onto your skin. Dryer balls are (usually) 100% cotton and less harmful to the environment and your health.

• No, dryer balls don't seem to work as advertised, and they don't really reduce energy used by clothes dryers.

By dividing the energy used by the liter of water removed from the clothes, we get a number that can easy be compared. My four runs show results between 1.29 and 1.35 kWh needed to remove one liter of water. The average for the use of Dryer balls was 1.31 kWh/l and without was 1.32kWh/l. This is less than 1% difference, and a very clear conclusion that DRYER BALLS SAVE NO ENERGY.
    Source: https://urge4lessenergy.blogspot.com/2009/03/dryer-balls-save-no-energy.html

Based on my results, I conclude that the mean drying time does not depend on whether dryer balls are used. In particular, dryer balls do not “reduce drying time by up to 25%.” The observed difference was about 1%, but that could be due to randomness. The time required to dry clothes depends on the weight of the wet clothes, but using dryer balls does not make any difference in the time it takes to dry the clothes, whether the load is small or large.
    Source: https://blogs.sas.com/content/iml/2013/08/12/do-dryer-balls-reduce-drying-time.html

Both of these results intuitively make sense. An electric clothes dryer removes moisture from clothes by adding heat to evaporate the water. A dryer ball doesn't affect the temperature or amount of the water, so it's unclear how it could have any effect on the latent heat of evaporation.

Myth: BUSTED