Brainstorming & Ideas

• @rikard structural change is a great topic of focus. My initial thinking is that the power of the collective would be quite effective at presenting a unified face towards structural problems. I also think that these challenges need to be highly focused in order to be effective. Maybe it would helpful to target very specific changes that can be attacked in tandem. Where would you start?

• There should be a new economic system that puts the environment first.

The current capitalist economic systems build on ever-expanding economic output, but by maximizing production, we also maximize energy output. How should such a new financial environmentally friendly system be constructed? Useful parameters would be if it made it profitable to recycle, promoted goods that are durable for a lifetime, and repairable.

• @cny the reality is that our current economic system is too deeply entrenched to change in time to avert climate catastrophe. You're talking about trying to change the underlying system that every person on the planet is already a part of.

We have to find a way to work within the constraints of capitalism. The suggestions you're providing would work within that context. It's just a matter of properly pricing things like the cost of environmental destruction through carbon taxes, disposal charges, and the like. What do you think?

• @cny Isn't this just capitalism with carbon taxes/credits?

• @rikard Have you seen many successful initiatives to encourage structural change? Would be interesting to track the approaches that work best

• @Eric-Vanular @Rob-Bennett

Thanks for your replies. As I see it, focus has been on individual actions and individual responsibility which is important but the solutions are primarily on the systemic structural level. Two examples of what this means and how individuals can contribute to solutions on the structural level.

Demands on production

The European Union has regulated vacuum cleaners demanding that producers build vacuum cleaners that use less than 800 watts. Before this regulation 2000 watts was normal. Today they all use 800 watts.
    So we could write new market rules and promote them.

Clear information about pollution levels and emitters

The Public doesn't have access to clear and user-friendly data about pollution levels and the companies that emit. Right now people are pretty confused which inhibits action and help those who wants to continue with business as usual.
    For example, coal power plants. The data exists but needs to be more accessible. What plants exist in my country? My city? How much energy does it produce and needs to be replaced with renewables? Wikipedia lists the largest coal power stations in the world which is a start but the information should be even more accessible, shaped to help people act. When we have specific targets we can demand that politicians act.

• @rikard Seems like providing transparency around emissions would be within the realm of everyday people making technology platforms to allow that!

• @Felix-G Indeed. We need to build databases with user-friendly interfaces, web sites, mobile apps etcetera. Very suited for the Public to produce on its own, an open source endeavour.

• @rikard Do you know any initiatives that are working on building open source, public dashboards?

• @Sam-Hughes Hey, no I don't. Except a site I made (in swedish) from a book, with statistics about gender equality, and made it available on the web.

http://jamstalld.se

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=sv&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fjamstalld.se%2F